Who being loved is poor? Love is, above all, a gift of oneself.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Close, but no cigar

It looked like it was going to be a cold day. I woke up and dressed. Preparing for the chill of the morning. It was a normal Friday. I was heading to church to meet the guys and head down to ninth street. We drove up to ninth street like we normally do except today we had about five or six people waiting for us. We had forgot the bread but, we still had hot chocolate, cookies and three garbage bags full of clothes. 

I did like I normally do. Set up tables and chairs, make drinks, chat with our "regulars" and see how they are doing. It was just a normal Friday. As the day went on the California sun came out...so I went and sat in the back of the van to hide from the heat. I noticed a family walk up. I noticed them because they had a young child. She was maybe four. She was one of the most beautiful things I've seen. She was all smiles and giggles. It wasn't normal to see kids that young walking around in that part of town. I don't know why I was so interested in them....

They each had a hot chocolate and a cookie with a bag of chips. I watched as the little girls mother sat down, took a deep breath and stared at the ongoing traffic. I watched as the little girls father looked through the clothes. I watched as the little girl bounced around like life couldn't be better. What snapped me out of my trance and almost brought me to tears was the six words the little girls father said to his wife..."Honey, come Christmas shopping with me." It was such a non-chalant comment...just thrown out there. I felt like I had interrupted a personal moment. I looked away. The family hung around for a bit longer. They walked off with their bags of Christmas gifts and cups of hot chocolate. Mom and Dad on the outside and their daughter between them, all holding hands. I thought it was beautiful. I couldn't help but be reminded of Our Father, His Son, and Holy Spirit. 

My own mother asked me to write my Christmas list this year. She wanted to know what to get me for Christmas. I struggled writing down what I wanted after seeing that family on ninth street. I know we all have different walks of life and I also know I shouldn't feel guilty for having things but, I did feel convicted on what I find importance in. It just struck me, I have all I need...and them some...but there are days that I still complain about not having what I need or what I want. I want to not care what people think of me. I want to be content with what I have because I always have what I need. I want to be satisfied in God. I want to love, and I mean truly love, all the people in my life. 

"i see your true colours and that's why I  love you"

1 comment:

  1. I have linked this post in the Advent Week 3 Meditation. May our God and Father grant you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.

    ReplyDelete